Why Waterford Instutute of Technology?
Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT) is a university-level institution in the South-East of Ireland with over 10,000 students and 1000 staff. WIT offers tuition and research programmes in various areas from Higher Certificate to degree to PhD.
- WIT is a state-sector, university-level college which is funded directly by the Irish government. This means that its facilities and infrastructure are of excellent quality.
- It provides a wide range of vocationally oriented courses, which lead to internationally recognised awards at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- It operates within the National Qualifications Authority of Ireland (NQAI) which provides assurance that all its courses are quality assured and all its staff have high level qualifications.
WIT stands out from other Institutes of Technology in having delegated authority from NQAI to award its own qualifications within this framework. This autonomy was awarded as a result of an international review process.
- The qualifications from WIT are aligned with the European Credit System (ECTS)
- It has an excellent new Library, recently referred to in a national study as 'one of the best in Ireland.' WIT has a newly opened Information Technology Building with state of the art computers, network and broadband access.
- WIT currently caters for over 10,000 students of which 6,500 are full-time and over 4,000 are part-time. There is a rapidly growing community of international students.
- WIT has strong links with industry and employers and many of its courses involve work placement.
- WIT provides postgraduate opportunities through its taught Masters and research programmes.
- There is excellent college managed student accommodation which is affordable, clean and near the Institute. The cost of living in Waterford is lower than in many other cities in Ireland.
- WIT offers attractive international scholarships to students for selected courses at Undergraduate and post Graduate level.
- Waterford has scored the 1st position in student employment in all of Ireland.